MEET THE TEAM : Pasquale Pollio, Sommelier & Assistant Restaurant ManagerPublished on 03 November, 2016, 09:00 am
It's the first of our 'Meet the Team' journals, where we tell you a bit more about the people behind the scenes making Nonnas Chesterfield the experience that it is.
We start with Pasquale, our Sommelier and Ass. Restaurant Manager, who's been working in Chesterfield since the dawn of the Nonnas time in 2009.
When you see him around the restaurant, he is your man for all things Wine & Cocktail related!
CA 'So, introduce yourself to the world..'
PP 'My name is Pasquale, 35, originally from Sorrento, i have been in the UK now for 11 years
CA'What brings you to the UK?'
PP 'I originally came to Sheffield to learn the language and have a winter work experience which i started at Nonnas Sheffiel in 2005, then decided to stay and was given the role of Ass. Restaurant Manager when Nonnas Chesterfield was born'
PP 'When the opportunity arose to also take up the role of Sommelier, i enrolled to the Sommelier Course in 2007 and gained my qulifications. Wine has always been one of my biggest passions!'
CA 'What do you love most about your job?'
PP 'I would say descovering new wines and creating new cocktails alongside the team. I am always looking for a wine gem to bring to our list and attending wine tastings regularly to make sure i keep up with the ever changing trends on offer'.
CA'Spill then, a favourite wine or drink?'
PP 'Taurasi hands down! It epitomises the love for my region of origin in wine. Sunny, complex, full of unforgettable taste. It sums up Campania in a glass.'
CA'What is your pet hate about the industry'
PP 'It's probably when i see wines that 'impersonate' the real Italian counterparts, are mass produced and mis-represent the taste of the real thing! There is hard labour required to make great wines, and that doesn't have to mean big money tags. If you get to a small local winery in Italy you get to taste some real gems which are true to their terroir of origins and don't make it to market because of the prohibitative competition from the mass productions. There is a whole world of wines to be discovered. I say cast your net wide'.
CA' You are obviuosly very passionate about your job, what else interests you'?
PP ' Outside of work i would say i enjoy most travelling and discovering new places; love sports and go to the gym as much as i can. Big Napoli fan! Football is also a passion'
CA' What three things are on your bucket list?'
PP' A Trip to America much over due, a wine tasting experience in the Champagne making regions of France and win the Euromillions!'
CA' And now tell me your favourite italian food and why'
PP' Melanzane Parmigiana! It reminds me of my childhood and Mamma still makes the best i have ever tasted, of course.'
More on the team soon!
- MAKE THEM AT HOME! Published on 19 April, 2016, 02:00 pm
- COOKERY SCHOOL HOT OFF THE PRESS! Published on 31 March, 2016, 02:10 pm
- PASTA CHEFS IN THE MAKING Published on 16 February, 2016, 09:00 am
- EASTER COOKING MADE EASY Published on 22 March, 2016, 09:00 am
- PROUD TO BE CHESTERFIELD CHAMPIONS Published on 29 March, 2016, 09:00 am
- A DAY IN TUSCANY IN THE HEART OF CHESTERFIELD Published on 20 April, 2016, 10:30 am
- Smiles all round for Liz's Birthday Celebrations! Published on 14 May, 2016, 10:00 am
- WE DECLARE 2016 SUMMER OF GIN FEST Published on 25 April, 2016, 01:00 pm
- MALFY GQDI ITALIAN GIN Published on 31 May, 2016, 09:00 am
- A heart warming tale from a brave little girl Published on 28 June, 2016, 09:55 am
- The gin of destiny Published on 14 July, 2016, 10:25 am
- Another Fun day at Nonnas Cookery School Published on 26 July, 2016, 03:00 pm
- Welcome to the 'Origin' Published on 29 July, 2016, 09:00 am
- Enjoy the harvest Published on 19 September, 2016, 09:00 am
- GET SPIRITED AWAY... Published on 24 November, 2016, 11:59 am
- WE TAKE OUR VINO VERY SERIOUSLY Published on 01 December, 2016, 08:12 pm
- A chance to give back Published on 07 December, 2016, 09:00 am
- PASTA MAKING BESPOKE MASTERCLASS Published on 21 November, 2016, 02:23 pm
- A Healthy Start To Our Foodie Journey Published on 10 January, 2017, 01:30 pm