Weather watcher Lucia takes the art of coffee making to another levelPublished on 26 September, 2016, 08:00 am
When the judges said it was her “unrivalled love and passion” that put her head and shoulders above her rivals across the country they weren’t joking.
Whilst most baristas start their working day when they take their first morning order, the newly crowned ‘Best Barista’ in England is hard at work from the minute she wakes up – she says there’s nothing more important to the perfect cup of coffee than checking the weather forecast!
Our very own Lucia Gadau said: “The temperature and humidly outside can have a dramatic effect on the end result. A wet and windy day can be the deathknell for quality cup of cappuccino and only a highly trained barista will know what steps to take to ensure the drink is still the very best.”
Sardinia-born Lucia Gadau’s passion for coffee making is legendary at Nonnas. We describe her win at the coveted English Italian Awards 2016 as “a fairytale”.
Nonnas proprietor Maurizio Mori said: “I spotted her attention to detail immediately – if her coffee isn’t one hundred per cent to her liking it won’t be served.
“I’m confident of saying we are now serving the very best coffee anywhere in the county. It’s a huge accolade for us.”
Though Nonnas, which is presently celebrating its 20th birthday, has always prided itself in its quality coffee we have to admit Lucia raised the bar to another level when she arrived in 2013.
Her determination to learn and deliver the ultimate blends of coffee have seen her move country twice, learn a new language and even get over the heartache of failed business back in her homeland.
Lucia Gadau said: “I believe in absolute perfection in coffee. So many baristas cut corners and serve poor coffee. They don’t use the correct pressure on the machine, don’t use the correct milk consistency, don’t handle the coffee correctly – these are all precise skills that takes years to learn.”
41-year-old Lucia first started honing her craft when she was just 18 and living in Sardinia.
She has her husband to thank for her initial training.
Lucia Gadau received her award at the glitzy English Italian Awards 2016 that was held in Manchester.
She beat thousands of other baristas from right across the country to win.
This is the second national win in two years for Nonnas Sheffield. Last year they were award ‘best business’ in the country at the English Italian Awards 2016.
- Nonnas goes one better with its new designer coffees! Published on 10 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Lombardia on the March menu at Nonnas Published on 02 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Friuli Venezia Giulia on the February menu Published on 02 February, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas’ appeal provides hope for farming family Published on 31 January, 2017, 08:00 am
- Regional specials return for 2017! Published on 30 January, 2017, 03:18 pm
- Treat your loved one to San Valentino’s night at Nonnas Published on 24 January, 2017, 02:06 pm
- New winter menus now online! Published on 12 January, 2017, 11:57 am
- Nonnas live dates for the new and exciting ‘Jazz/Blues lounge night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:19 am
- Nonnas live dates for ‘Live Prosecco night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:15 am
- Nonnas Christmas grotto open for business! Published on 15 December, 2016, 09:46 am
- 'Thank you. Thank you very much!' Published on 13 December, 2016, 08:00 am
- Merry Christmas to all our customers Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:40 pm
- ‘Elvis’ fundraiser a complete sell-out Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:36 pm
- Wine night's success Published on 10 November, 2016, 04:18 pm
- Sicily on the November menu Published on 02 November, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to December Published on 18 October, 2016, 03:37 pm
- Lord Mayor receives our earthquake appeal relief cheque Published on 11 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- Sardegna on the October menu Published on 05 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- We're hiring!! Published on 21 September, 2016, 03:41 pm
- Lucia impresses the judges! Published on 07 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Campania on the menu in September Published on 01 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas digs deep for earthquake appeal Published on 30 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas barista is voted amongst best in England Published on 22 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- You've enjoyed the photos - now see the film! Published on 16 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Fine wines now by the glass thanks to Coravin Published on 08 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Calabria on specials menu this month Published on 04 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Have you sampled our summer menus? Published on 29 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas needs YOU! Published on 23 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas 20th birthday party Published on 11 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Thanks for the best birthday present ever! Published on 29 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to September Published on 12 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Best Italian Award is perfect birthday present Published on 08 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Umbria specials for May 2016 Published on 11 May, 2016, 10:00 am
- Check out our Tuscan Wine Night pics! Published on 11 May, 2016, 08:00 am
- Check out our month-by-month Italian culinary tour! Published on 09 May, 2016, 12:00 am
- We want your memories! Published on 26 April, 2016, 10:00 am
- April special menu from Toscany Published on 21 March, 2016, 08:00 pm
- Live music on the menu Published on 15 February, 2016, 08:00 pm
- 'Cantini' unveiling tops off record breaking year for Nonnas Published on 16 December, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Lucia's coffee expertise voted best in country Published on 22 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Nonnas crowned best Italian business in England Published on 13 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Red and white unite under the Italian flag of Nonnas Published on 15 July, 2015, 08:00 pm
- ‘Elvis’ digs deep for earthquake appeal - Tickets now on sale Published on 15 November, 2016, 12:37 pm