Regional specials return for 2017!Published on 30 January, 2017, 03:18 pm
Our 2016 culinary tour of Italy proved so popular we’re coming back bigger and better for this year! Each month we’re featuring a different region as our team of chefs bring you the very best an area has to offer as we travel from north to south.
And in addition, Dario, our knowledgeable sommelier, will also be matching wines with the regional specialties.
Maurizio Mori, Nonnas proprietor, said: “We had such a brilliant response last year we decided to do it again and introduce new areas and cuisine. It truly gives our customers a chance to enjoy Italian cuisine culture like never before.”
Here’s what you’ve got to look forward to over the coming months:
January - Trentino Alto Adige:
Trentino Alto Adige is situated in the very north of Italy bordering Austria and Switzerland, and is best known for the beauty of its peak. Trentino Alto Adige cooking draws as heavily from its Germanic roots as it does from its Italian heritage. Over many years, the residents of this autonomous region in Italy have created a unique blend of the two cuisines with many hearty and popular dishes.
February - Friuli Venezia Giulia:
Friuli Venezia Giulia is situated in Italy's northeast and borders Slovenia and Austria.
This region overlooks the Adriatic Sea and is surrounded by high mountains, enclosing many different landscapes. Friuli Venezia Giulia cooking is known as a mix of Fruilian peasant fare, sophisticated Venetian food and influence from the Slavic and Austrian cultures. Despite these vastly different styles of cooking, this region manages to merge them successfully.
March – Lombardy:
Lombardy (Lombradia) lies in the north of the country, sharing a border with Switzerland.
Stretching from the Alps to the lowlands of the Po Valley, it is home to a wide range of landscapes, including the breath-taking mountain chain that boasts the Valchiavenna, Valtellina and the Camonica Valley. Lombardia cuisine has roots in many different cultures, resulting in extravagant dishes. Lombardia cooking traditionally uses generous amounts of butter, cream and lard, but recently has been converting recipes to olive oil. The first food to come to mind for most people is the decadent risotto alla Milanese.
April – Veneto:
Situated in Italy's northeast, Veneto extends from the Dolomites to the Adriatic Sea, by way of an expansive range of hills and a valley furrowed by rivers, canals and the Po River Delta. Veneto cooking has influences from around the world. The dishes are known as exotic and exciting by many. From seafood and livestock to produce from lush gardens, the Veneto cuisine is widely varied.
May - Emilia Romagna:
Emilia Romagna lies between the River Po to its north and the Apennine Mountains to its south. It is one of the most fertile and productive regions of Italy. Foreigners thinking of luxurious Italian food usually think of classic Emilia Romagna cuisine. The land of plenty is known for its flavorful produce dishes. Bright green asparagus is served with Parmigiano Reggiano and melted butter. Pasta is also a favourite food in the region.
June – Tuscany:
Tuscany is located in central Italy and stretches from the Apennines to the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is the spiritual home of Nonnas. Food in the Tuscany region of Italy has been defined by its elegant simplicity for millennia. Their expectations for quality food are very high. Rather than create overly complex dishes with exotic ingredients, Tuscans expect to eat produce that is locally grown, in season and at the peak of ripeness.
July - The Marches:
The Marches is mostly comprised of hills and mountains; the region embraces the Adriatic side of the Umbria-Marche Appennines, yet in contrast features low-lying, sandy beaches. Marche’s location is ideal for fresh seafood and harvesting food from the land. Marche cuisine makes use of the best of each in their dishes. While Marche recipes use the ever present pecorino cheese, olive oil and unsalted bread, they are also influenced by other local regions. Emilia Romagna’s fresh pasta and preserved pork products are found here.
August – Abruzzo:
Abruzzo is located in central Italy and stretches from the heart of the Apennines to the Adriatic Sea, on a mostly mountainous and wild terrain. The Abruzzi cuisine is known for hearty meals. The most famous expression of their love for good food is the annual festival called La Panarda. A typical meal prepared in Abruzzi will feature the diavolicchio, a triad of olive oil, tomatoes and chili peppers. Abruzzi recipes are often highly spiced with chili peppers, typical for much of Southern Italy.
September – Molise:
Molise is situated in south-central Italy and lies between the Apennine ridge and the Adriatic Sea. Nature, history, art, age-old traditions and good food are the treasures of this still largely-undiscovered region. In 1970, Abruzzi and Molise split apart, creating Italy’s newest region. Formerly ruled by Sicily, Molise cuisine strongly reflects this influence. Like Abruzzi, Molise recipes often contain hot peppers affectionately referred to as diavolino, or "little devil".
October – Basilicata:
Basilicata is embedded between Calabria and Apulia, in the south of Italy. Even though it is a mainly internal region, Basilicata touches two seas: the Ionian and Tyrrhenian. Like many of its neighbouring regions, Basilicata cooking is made from a few simple, high quality ingredients. Mutton and lamb are the favourite meats in Basilicata cuisine.
November – Calabria:
Calabria is at the toe of the boot, the extreme south of Italy - lapped by the splendid crystal blue Ionian and Tyrrhenian Seas and separated from Sicily by the Strait of Messina. The warm climate, the beautiful colours of the sea, the strong and genuine flavours of local food and the vestiges of its ancient origins make Calabria a unique place that vacationers can enjoy in both winter and summer. Calabrian cuisine is known for hearty vegetable and pasta dishes and filling soups. Many of these meals feature eggplants, peppers and tomatoes.
- Christmas gifts direct from Nonnas Published on 15 December, 2017, 08:00 am
- Molise on the Sept menu Published on 06 September, 2017, 08:00 am
- Healthy breakfast options now on our menu! Published on 31 August, 2017, 08:00 am
- Vote for Nonnas in the English/Italian Awards Published on 18 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Tuscany on the June menu Published on 01 June, 2017, 08:00 am
- Lord Mayor says ‘ciao’ with a gin cocktail and one of our new coffees! Published on 26 May, 2017, 08:00 am
- Kell Brook drops in for lunch! Published on 26 May, 2017, 07:00 am
- Spring on the menu! Published on 05 April, 2017, 08:00 am
- Festival della mamma - this Sunday! Published on 23 March, 2017, 07:00 am
- Nonnas goes one better with its new designer coffees! Published on 10 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Lombardia on the March menu at Nonnas Published on 02 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Friuli Venezia Giulia on the February menu Published on 02 February, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas’ appeal provides hope for farming family Published on 31 January, 2017, 08:00 am
- Treat your loved one to San Valentino’s night at Nonnas Published on 24 January, 2017, 02:06 pm
- New winter menus now online! Published on 12 January, 2017, 11:57 am
- Nonnas live dates for the new and exciting ‘Jazz/Blues lounge night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:19 am
- Nonnas live dates for ‘Live Prosecco night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:15 am
- Nonnas Christmas grotto open for business! Published on 15 December, 2016, 09:46 am
- 'Thank you. Thank you very much!' Published on 13 December, 2016, 08:00 am
- Merry Christmas to all our customers Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:40 pm
- ‘Elvis’ fundraiser a complete sell-out Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:36 pm
- Wine night's success Published on 10 November, 2016, 04:18 pm
- Sicily on the November menu Published on 02 November, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to December Published on 18 October, 2016, 03:37 pm
- Lord Mayor receives our earthquake appeal relief cheque Published on 11 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- Sardegna on the October menu Published on 05 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- Weather watcher Lucia takes the art of coffee making to another level Published on 26 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- We're hiring!! Published on 21 September, 2016, 03:41 pm
- Lucia impresses the judges! Published on 07 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Campania on the menu in September Published on 01 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas digs deep for earthquake appeal Published on 30 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas barista is voted amongst best in England Published on 22 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- You've enjoyed the photos - now see the film! Published on 16 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Fine wines now by the glass thanks to Coravin Published on 08 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Calabria on specials menu this month Published on 04 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Have you sampled our summer menus? Published on 29 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas 20th birthday party Published on 11 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Thanks for the best birthday present ever! Published on 29 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to September Published on 12 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Best Italian Award is perfect birthday present Published on 08 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Umbria specials for May 2016 Published on 11 May, 2016, 10:00 am
- Check out our Tuscan Wine Night pics! Published on 11 May, 2016, 08:00 am
- Check out our month-by-month Italian culinary tour! Published on 09 May, 2016, 12:00 am
- We want your memories! Published on 26 April, 2016, 10:00 am
- April special menu from Toscany Published on 21 March, 2016, 08:00 pm
- Live music on the menu Published on 15 February, 2016, 08:00 pm
- 'Cantini' unveiling tops off record breaking year for Nonnas Published on 16 December, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Lucia's coffee expertise voted best in country Published on 22 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Nonnas crowned best Italian business in England Published on 13 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Red and white unite under the Italian flag of Nonnas Published on 15 July, 2015, 08:00 pm
- ‘Elvis’ digs deep for earthquake appeal - Tickets now on sale Published on 15 November, 2016, 12:37 pm
- Veneto on the April menu at Nonnas Published on 29 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- L'estate è qui! Published on 25 May, 2017, 08:00 am
- New summer menus at Nonnas! Published on 23 June, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas’ ‘Michelin quality’ food hits the national press! Published on 14 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas backs Mark's epic ride Published on 25 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Fundraising success for Mark following his “epic ride” triumph Published on 03 August, 2017, 08:00 am
- Basilicata on the October menu Published on 04 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Customers enjoy Tuscan gastro/wine tour Published on 23 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Will your child's pumpkin be a ghoulish to Nonnas this Halloween? Published on 25 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Carlos unveils our new Premium Privé Lounge Published on 08 November, 2017, 08:00 am
- A Happy New Year to all our customers Published on 29 December, 2017, 08:00 am
- Wishing you all the best for 2018! Published on 02 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- We are hiring Published on 08 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- Nonnas reach "pinnacle of culinary excellence at a world class level” Published on 13 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- We are hiring Published on 16 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- Make it a San Valentinos night to remember Published on 05 February, 2018, 08:00 am
- Mothers Day offer update Published on 11 March, 2018, 08:00 am
- DJ Paulo Brady for Easter Sunday Published on 29 March, 2018, 08:00 am