Check out our month-by-month Italian culinary tour!Published on 09 May, 2016, 12:00 am
Nonnas are taking customers on a culinary tour of Italy - from north to south.?
Each month we’re featuring a different region as our team of chefs bring you the very best an area has to offer.
Umbria is the region currently under the spotlight.
?Maurizio Mori, Nonnas proprietor, said: “There are so many variations in style and taste as you move from region to region in Italy and we’re very keen to represent this. This will give our customers a chance to enjoy Italian cuisine culture like never before.”
The regional specials menu is available from Thursday to Sunday each week.
Here’s what you’ve got to look forward to over the coming months:
May - Umbria
Often referred to as the country’s green heart; breath-taking Umbria is well known for its local cuisine and medieval hill towns. Foodies are in their element here, with the rich earthiness of the tartufo truffle, fine cured meats from Norcia and full-bodied local wines. It is particularly well known for an abundance of meat dishes, particularly lamb, pork game and roast suckling pig.
The landlocked region sits in the centre of the country. Though its wine production is probably a third of neighbouring Tuscany, it is gaining a reputation for its growing variety of unique modern wines.
June - Roma/Lazio
Lazio is the central Italian region bordering the Tyrrhenian Sea. Its principal city, Rome, is Italy’s capital. Its iconic ruins include the Colosseum, an amphitheater that seated thousands, and former government buildings at the Roman Forum. Independent state Vatican City, the seat of the Pope, stands in its own enclave within the capital.
The cuisine of Lazio, in contrast to other regional culinary traditions, has maintained its characteristics over time, with only some slight influence of the Jewish community.
Specialties such as “spaghetti alla carbonara”, or the oxtail or even “gnocchi alla romana” are known throughout the world.
July - Puglia
Puglia is well known for its sunny weather, whitewashed hill towns, centuries old farmland and hundreds of miles of Mediterranean coastline.
It is often referred to as the breadbasket of Italy. It’s the source of 80 percent of Europe’s pasta and much of Italy’s fish; it produces more wine than Germany and more olive oil than all the other regions of Italy combined. It’s famous for olives (from Cerignola), almonds (from Ruvo di Puglia), dark juicy tomatoes (often sun-dried), fava beans, figs (fresh and dried), cotognata (a moulded jam made from quince) and for its melons, grapes and green cauliflower.
August - Campania
Beautiful Campania; a region in southwestern Italy known for its ancient ruins and dramatic, resort-studded coastline. Pizza is said to have been invented in Naples, the regional capital. The mild climate, the beauty of the coasts, the richness of its art and history, and the love for food make Campania the fascinating territory that it is.
The cuisine is a mix of the people’s food with aristocratic touches. Campania is known throughout the world for its pizza and pasta, which have become Italian national symbols.
Wheat grows well here, thanks to the geography and climate, and is used to make dried pasta, especially long noodles like vermicelli, spaghetti, and bucatini.
September - Calabria
Calabria is a sun-glazed region of rugged mountains, old-fashioned villages and dramatic coastline, housing many popular beaches.
The cuisine is a balance between meat-based dishes (pork, lamb, goat), vegetables (especially eggplant), and fish. Pasta is also very important in Calabria.
Local desserts are typically fried, honey-sweetened pastries Cudduraci, Scalille or scalidde or baked biscotti-type treats.
In ancient times Calabria was referred to as a “land of wine”. In fact some of its vineyards have origins dating back to the ancient Greek colonists.
October - Sardegna
A tropical paradise, Sardinia is renowned for its snow-white sands and crystal clear waters. Sardinia has been polished like a pebble by the waves of its history and heritage. Sardinian food satisfies the most demanding palates with its simple and natural ingredient wheat. Used to make the famous pane carasau and the well-known malloreddus, culurgiones and fregola.
Many say the local diets are the secret to the long lives of many Sardinians. The island boasts some of the longest-lived people in the world.
November - Sicilia
Sicily, the largest island in the sparkling Mediterranean. Set just off the toe of Italy's boot, it holds a history reflected in its diverse architecture, cuisine and ancient ruins. The exuberance and warmth of the island of Sicily is evident in its food as well, which tells of Sicilians' passion and care for good food and genuine flavours. A wide array of appetizers to whet your appetite, from rice croquettes to cazzilli and crispeddi of Catania, before tasting rich first courses and fish or meat dishes.
On Sicily’s eastern edge is Mt. Etna, Europe’s highest active volcano.
- Annamaria is our staff member of the month Published on 02 August, 2019, 09:00 am
- New dishes for our spring menu Published on 20 May, 2019, 09:00 am
- Stefania is our employee of the month Published on 09 May, 2019, 09:00 am
- Vanessa is our staff member of the month Published on 02 March, 2019, 09:00 am
- Anya is our staff member of the month Published on 03 January, 2019, 09:00 am
- The king of rock’n’roll says ‘thank you very much’ Published on 12 December, 2018, 09:00 am
- First class white wine Published on 06 December, 2018, 05:00 pm
- Betty wins Nonnas employee of the month award Published on 27 October, 2018, 09:00 am
- Stallone visit with new vegan addition ensures success for Nonnas Published on 12 October, 2018, 09:00 am
- Early success for Nonnas in the English Italian Awards Published on 18 September, 2018, 09:00 am
- Jonil wins Nonnas employee of the month award Published on 11 September, 2018, 09:00 am
- Generosity of Nonnas’ customers brings Amatrice cheese dream a step closer Published on 11 June, 2018, 08:00 am
- Italian of the Year Award Published on 05 June, 2018, 08:00 am
- Laura is our staff member of the month Published on 29 May, 2018, 08:00 am
- Luz is our staff member of the month! Published on 09 May, 2018, 08:00 am
- Christmas gifts direct from Nonnas Published on 15 December, 2017, 08:00 am
- Molise on the Sept menu Published on 06 September, 2017, 08:00 am
- Healthy breakfast options now on our menu! Published on 31 August, 2017, 08:00 am
- Vote for Nonnas in the English/Italian Awards Published on 18 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Tuscany on the June menu Published on 01 June, 2017, 08:00 am
- Lord Mayor says ‘ciao’ with a gin cocktail and one of our new coffees! Published on 26 May, 2017, 08:00 am
- Kell Brook drops in for lunch! Published on 26 May, 2017, 07:00 am
- Spring on the menu! Published on 05 April, 2017, 08:00 am
- Festival della mamma - this Sunday! Published on 23 March, 2017, 07:00 am
- Nonnas goes one better with its new designer coffees! Published on 10 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Lombardia on the March menu at Nonnas Published on 02 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- Friuli Venezia Giulia on the February menu Published on 02 February, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas’ appeal provides hope for farming family Published on 31 January, 2017, 08:00 am
- Regional specials return for 2017! Published on 30 January, 2017, 03:18 pm
- Treat your loved one to San Valentino’s night at Nonnas Published on 24 January, 2017, 02:06 pm
- New winter menus now online! Published on 12 January, 2017, 11:57 am
- Nonnas live dates for the new and exciting ‘Jazz/Blues lounge night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:19 am
- Nonnas live dates for ‘Live Prosecco night’ take you through to March Published on 04 January, 2017, 11:15 am
- Nonnas Christmas grotto open for business! Published on 15 December, 2016, 09:46 am
- 'Thank you. Thank you very much!' Published on 13 December, 2016, 08:00 am
- Merry Christmas to all our customers Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:40 pm
- ‘Elvis’ fundraiser a complete sell-out Published on 08 December, 2016, 03:36 pm
- Wine night's success Published on 10 November, 2016, 04:18 pm
- Sicily on the November menu Published on 02 November, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to December Published on 18 October, 2016, 03:37 pm
- Lord Mayor receives our earthquake appeal relief cheque Published on 11 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- Sardegna on the October menu Published on 05 October, 2016, 08:00 am
- Weather watcher Lucia takes the art of coffee making to another level Published on 26 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- We're hiring!! Published on 21 September, 2016, 03:41 pm
- Lucia impresses the judges! Published on 07 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Campania on the menu in September Published on 01 September, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas digs deep for earthquake appeal Published on 30 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas barista is voted amongst best in England Published on 22 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- You've enjoyed the photos - now see the film! Published on 16 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Fine wines now by the glass thanks to Coravin Published on 08 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Calabria on specials menu this month Published on 04 August, 2016, 08:00 am
- Have you sampled our summer menus? Published on 29 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas 20th birthday party Published on 11 July, 2016, 08:00 am
- Thanks for the best birthday present ever! Published on 29 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Nonnas live dates take you through to September Published on 12 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Best Italian Award is perfect birthday present Published on 08 June, 2016, 08:00 am
- Umbria specials for May 2016 Published on 11 May, 2016, 10:00 am
- Check out our Tuscan Wine Night pics! Published on 11 May, 2016, 08:00 am
- We want your memories! Published on 26 April, 2016, 10:00 am
- April special menu from Toscany Published on 21 March, 2016, 08:00 pm
- Live music on the menu Published on 15 February, 2016, 08:00 pm
- 'Cantini' unveiling tops off record breaking year for Nonnas Published on 16 December, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Lucia's coffee expertise voted best in country Published on 22 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Nonnas crowned best Italian business in England Published on 13 October, 2015, 08:00 pm
- Red and white unite under the Italian flag of Nonnas Published on 15 July, 2015, 08:00 pm
- ‘Elvis’ digs deep for earthquake appeal - Tickets now on sale Published on 15 November, 2016, 12:37 pm
- Veneto on the April menu at Nonnas Published on 29 March, 2017, 08:00 am
- L'estate è qui! Published on 25 May, 2017, 08:00 am
- New summer menus at Nonnas! Published on 23 June, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas’ ‘Michelin quality’ food hits the national press! Published on 14 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Nonnas backs Mark's epic ride Published on 25 July, 2017, 08:00 am
- Fundraising success for Mark following his “epic ride” triumph Published on 03 August, 2017, 08:00 am
- Basilicata on the October menu Published on 04 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Customers enjoy Tuscan gastro/wine tour Published on 23 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Will your child's pumpkin be a ghoulish to Nonnas this Halloween? Published on 25 October, 2017, 08:00 am
- Carlos unveils our new Premium Privé Lounge Published on 08 November, 2017, 08:00 am
- A Happy New Year to all our customers Published on 29 December, 2017, 08:00 am
- Wishing you all the best for 2018! Published on 02 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- Nonnas reach "pinnacle of culinary excellence at a world class level” Published on 13 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- We are hiring Published on 16 January, 2018, 08:00 am
- Mothers Day offer update Published on 11 March, 2018, 08:00 am
- DJ Paulo Brady for Easter Sunday Published on 29 March, 2018, 08:00 am
- We are hiring Published on 22 May, 2018, 08:00 am
- Nonnas Employee of the Month Award Published on 27 July, 2018, 11:00 am
- Vote for Nonnas in the English Italian Awards Published on 03 August, 2018, 09:00 am
- Merry Christmas to all our customers Published on 03 December, 2018, 10:00 am
- Make it a San Valentinos night to remember Published on 18 January, 2019, 08:00 am
- Easter information Published on 18 April, 2019, 08:00 am
- DJs, cocktails and lazy Sunday afternoon music this Bank Holiday Published on 03 May, 2019, 08:00 am